Saturday, March 31, 2012

OUR quirks

A few weeks back Monica posted on her blog about her's and Jachen's "quirks." To help pass the time on our car trip to Spokane last weekend, Rob, James, Alicia and I made a list of our own. So, Monica (and anyone else out there), here are OUR quirky quirks*

Rob:
- Afraid of heights. He's not afraid he'll fall, instead he's afraid he'll get an urge to jump and he'll follow that urge. He's the same with being around really fragile things - like in a museum. He's afraid he'll get an urge to break everything.
- He grinds his teeth as he's falling asleep. But only then (not during his sleep, just at the beginning)
- He's picky about his pillow, he likes it flat and cold (he'll turn his pillow over during the night so he can lie on the underside, which is cold)
- Rob really likes cereal and he especially likes to mix 2 or 3 different cereals in the same bowl.
- He pulls his socks half off in the evening, so they are hanging off his heel. He says it's so his feet don't get too warm or too cold.
- He hums along with the intro of a hymn during church. Kind of embarrassing.
- He laughs out loud at jokes during movies or on facebook that other people might just chuckle or smile at. Full-on laughs out loud.
- A lot of the time when he's standing still he starts to slowly sway back and forth. Especially when he's talking to someone. I thought that was really cute when we were dating.

James:
- He grabs/pinches his face in a certain way when he's telling certain stories (this isn't very descriptive, but if you know him, you've seen it)
- He doesn't  like to brush his teeth and he only does it in the shower. He says it's because he doesn't like anything on his lips. Along with this, he opens his mouth really wide when he's eating.
- He doesn't  like sunglasses.
- He argues for the sake of arguing
- James claims he can see cells on the cornea of his eyes. Weirdo.
- He has a really really freaky toenail. I don't like to see it.
- He wears a night guard on his teeth - or is supposed to wear it.
- James talks and answers questions in his sleep. Alicia has fun with that sometimes.
- He's been the same weight for ten years.

Alicia:
- She doesn't like to shower (but she still does)
- She gets anxious when she's told not to touch something - just because she's told not to, she feels like she then has to.
- She's an over-packer
- She has needing-to-go-to-the-bathroom anxiety. One result of this is that she doesn't like to sit in the middle of a row of chairs.
- She turns off the road if a police officer is driving near her.
- Loud, obnoxious people make her nervous (James says that's ironic. haha)
- She actually counts to 2-3 seconds to see if she's driving far enough behind another car.
- Her right eye stays about a quarter inch open when she's sleeping.
- She gets the terms, "today, tomorrow and yesterday" confused
- Alicia can't spell Albuquerque to save her life (neither can I, I had to use spell-check)
- She has issues sharing milk products with anyone, but she's getting better
- Alicia doesn't like to drink out of glass glasses, only plastic cups

Stephanie:
- I feel like using the bathroom is a waste of time and I put it off for a long time
- Escalators make me nervous (just like Monica, and Alicia says same with her too). I like to jump off at the end.
- When I take a bite of a cracker or cookie I "blot" it with my tongue so crumbs don't fall
- I can't stand the thought of sleeping in jeans
- When I come out of the water in a pool, lake, etc I have to rub my eyes each time
- I like to step on leaves
- I don't like scary movies at all. I have to cover my eyes even in barely-scary scenes of movies, but I don't cover them all the way, I leave a little slit. I don't like scary trailers for movies.
- I mispronounce "folks" I never know if I should pronounce the "L"
- I get headaches really easily from smells or small but strong amounts of light (like coming through a curtain or a light bulb)
- I always mix up  San Diego and San Francisco. Also, I can't keep the South Western states straight.
- I have to use a small fork for breakfast (instead of a regular sized fork) and I have to sit at MY spot at my parent's house for dinner)

That's it. We seem like a bunch of crazies now, yes?

*Is there a difference b/w quirks and personal flaws? Or between quirks and pet peeves? They do all tend to be negative things.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

There's gotta be more james quirks. Now I'm gonna be looking for them. I love the Rob ones, so funny. And I knew most of the ones for Steph and Alicia. Hmmm makes me wonder about mine, I will have to try to think of some, I know I have tons. That was a fun read, thanks Steph.

Monica @ All Things Lovely said...

I forgot to comment on this when I first saw this after you posted it. SO funny. At first we thought it was an April fools joke by the first two of Rob's but then we quickly realized these are actually real things.

These are great. Im glad you did this. I am glad to read the ones I didnt know about. After reading yours and alicias i realized i have more quirks that I share with the both of you like...my eyes stay open a little while sleeping so im told, cant sleep in jeans or maybe thats all. ha. but very interesting to know all of these.

I think natalie should write hers too.

You asked if there is a difference between quirks and flaws...YES quirks arent really negative things or bad things, just things that add up making us us. Quirks are kinda like pet peeves, things we dont like, but the difference is usually a pet peeve is something someone else does or something that happens outside our control. And again, no I don't think they are negative things about someone...quirks are funny/silly things about someone.